Friday, March 28, 2014

Slice of Life - Starbucks


Slice of Life is sponsored on Tuesdays by Two Writing Teachers. For the month of March we are posting a slice each day on our blog. Join in!


Longtime readers of this blog - and my students - know my obsession with Starbucks. We don't have one in our town. There are great things about small towns and others that aren't so great. You can get a Cafe Mocha at McDonalds, but it isn't the same. There are a couple of places in town that do sell them, but they aren't open when I'm going to work. And I do so love Starbucks.

One of the best parts of break is that I can drive to Champaign, the closest Starbucks, any time I want. The hour drive round trip is completely worth it. One sip and, ahhhhh. 

Starbucks makes me think of this poem by William Carlos Williams 

TO A POOR OLD WOMAN 
munching a plum on
the street a paper bag
of them in her hand 
They taste good to her
They taste good
to her. They taste
good to her
You can see it by
the way she gives herself
to the one half
sucked out in her hand 
Comforted
a solace of ripe plums
seeming to fill the air
They taste good to her

The way that woman feels about plums, I feel about Starbucks. It tastes good to me. Now, off to get one.